Earth Friendly Cleaners: Baking soda and our tiled countertops

So, a while ago I decided to follow in my friend's footsteps and take my green ways a step further. Two months ago we got rid of our Clorox bleach and other carcinogen ridden cleaners and started using only organic, kid, pet and earth-friendly cleaners.

It's been fun and not as expensive as I thought. It also allows me to include the kids in cleaning without fear of poising! Not to mention I haven't accidentally bleached any more of my clothes.

On Wednesday, I decided to clean our tiled counters with a baking soda and water mix. 

3 parts Baking Soda
1 part water
3 drops of essential oils- lavender's my favorite.

I sprinkled the baking soda evenly on countertops then sprayed the water on to create a sort of paste. I used a scrubber brush to scrub the grout and let it sit for 15 minutes I came back and washed it out into the sink. Countertops looks like new and smelled clean!



Today the countertops are still white and I can't believe how much a little scrubbing really went. I didn't have any bleach stains, my eyes didn't get watery and I didn't inhale fumes! Baking soda is very inexpensive and I just feel happy to find ways to take care of our earth that also make my home a happier place.

I'm working on 5 recipes for all purpose cleaner, disinfectant, hardwood floor cleaner, furniture polish and air freshener. Stay tuned I'll post them through this week.

Comments

Jodi said…
Look into Tea Tree Oil. That's a good antibacterial substitute as well to use in place of the more harsher cleaners.
Flor Olivo said…
Cool I'll check it out!
Terri Brown said…
I am also big on not using bleach and other cleaners that require a haz mat team to clean up! Thanks for this idea; I have read about but have never used the lavender oil. Where do you find that kind of stuff?
Flor Olivo said…
I found mine at the body shop. Only $7 and you can choose from an array of scents!

Popular Posts