Calle 13


Ileana Cabra Joglar "PG-13"
Calle 13 is a band that illustrates the richness of Latinidad through it's musical beats. They are great at speaking truth and using parody to ridicule the ironies of social class and structure as well as other societal issues. All of their songs are colored with deeper meaning. 


I found them in 2005 thanks to my sister, Izabella Olivo. Our favorite song was "Atrevete," second favorite, "Se Vale Todo," every album and song after that has been well received. 


Eduardo Cabra Martinez "Visitante"
Although most people have labeled Calle 13's music as reggaetón, they have tried to distance themselves from the style openly, even throwing jabs at many popular Reggaetóneros in their songs. Visitante, being a professional musician, tries to fuse diverse styles in the group's songs. Early cuts featured elements from jazz, bossa nova and salsa, while recent songs feature cumbia, tango, electronica and others. In their recent tours around Latin America they have added different musical elements according to the place the band is playing in, yet many of their songs carry the traditional reggaeton "Dem Bow" beat such as in their hit Tango del Pecado and the remix to "Suave." 



Singer Residente is reluctant to label their music in a specific genre, instead calling it plain urban style. He has a clear preference of hip hop over traditional reggaeton and both he and his brother justify it by saying that only three songs out of fifteen songs in their eponymous debut album, as well as four out of fifteen songs in their album Residente o Visitante, feature reggaetón beats. Residente said of the group's musical style "I love to mix things up, like on our song 'La Jirafa’. We have drumming from Brazil combined with the theme music from the film Amélie. It’s a pretty song, a love song for a woman, but it’s about Puerto Rico too. I think this why people like our music, because - sexually speaking or politically speaking – it’s just very genuine."(wikipedia)



I can't think of one song I don't love. The beats, the lyrics and the energy infuse happiness in my days. Thank you Rene, Ileana and Eduardo's mom, Flor (mi tocaya) for making such talented children. Must be a great woman who created such great people.  


A note on their nicknames that I thought was interesting. 


"What's the significance of the names Residente and Visitante? 


Rene Perez Joglar "Residente"
Right now with the immigration thing, I think its very important. Like our names, every time you visit a place, you can be a resident or visitor. 


But how did you come up with nicknames in the first place? 

Because of our place, I used to live in Calle 13, I was a resident over there. My brother used to visit me because his father was my stepfather, so he became the visitante. Now we have a lot of other meanings, because of the immigration thing. Maybe you're a resident, sometimes a visitor, sometimes you're well invited and sometimes you aren't." (Interview by LatinRapper.Com)

Here's a video from the concert yesterday, this is my favorite song: (note he points at my camera ;-) he he jk he was pointing at my friends Brazilian flag)



One of my other favorite Calle 13's"

Comments

Jodi said…
This is interesting Flor. I have always thought it was cool how they are both college graduates.
Nice music video.
I like the blog header, by the way.

I'm your newest follower via GFC from the Monday Blog Hop.
Please feel free to visit my blog. Looking forward to seeing you there, and would love a follow back. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts