Mothers in Higher Education

My Story

I’ve been in several socially negative categories, single-mom; divorcee; pregnant out of wedlock; young latina mom; victim of domestic and sexual abuse. None of these categories are me. When I am asked who I am, after saying my name I say, I have 3 kids, I am a student and I am Latina. These are my identities and this is the vision I see. Sometimes society constructs ideas that enable conflict and competition. I am grateful I understand this, if I didn’t I would not be where I am today. I know that progress can come through love for each other and the constant sharing of personal truths and knowledge. I was reading an article I wrote in 2009. I will share a small excerpt:

“As I sit in class each morning, I can’t help to wonder how many of the University students around me shared a morning routine like mine. I wake up at 5 am and pack lunches, get clothes ready, wake up the kids and ensure breakfast is served with love. Our pleasant commute is followed by a long walk, with my sleepy 2 and 4 year olds, to the on-campus daycare which we manage by taking little pauses. I usually drop them off in a hurry and rush off to class which starts at 7 am. I’ve been late a lot.”



Comments

Anonymous said…
I absolutely love this.

Popular Posts