Playing with Critical Thinking

Okay so I have so much in my head. This past week was like food poisoning from a delicious cake that I would eat again, even if I knew the consequences. HAHA wow no but really.

It comes down to facing truths, deconstructing socially constructed ideas and very deeply rooted beliefs.

The truth hurts but when you know the truth you would never revert time to not know it, especially if the process to attain, collect this truth was specially painful. Well at least I wouldn't.

I have no idea where to start.

I posted on my facebook page that I was going to a Critical Race Theory (CRT) Conference. A lot of people were curious what Critical Race Theory was. It sounds “all academic.” Well it is and I’m still working on a way of explaining it to my kids and even understanding everything it encompasses myself. I think it is a valuable lens which we should be able to put on and also take off, when necessary. 



I think the first step in embracing CRT is being able to think critically. So acknowledging that we each have personal truths and a wealth of knowledge that influences our stories, our ideas and our view of the world.

Here’s how I am going to begin explaining critical thought to my kids tomorrow during our noche de hogar/family home evening (FHE/NDH).


I bought the Disney version of the 3 little pigs and I bought “The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs!” by Jon Scieszka. (click to see the book review) The "true story version" is told from the wolf’s point of view and presents the counter-story of what the original version depicts.

I talked to Isaac about how to approach this because I have been debating for months how to teach my children to not only think critically but to be able to work towards a vision and understanding of the world that will be positive and enable them to become leaders and seekers of truth in their personal journeys. I know that my children have this infinite potential and I feel very responsible for cultivating pathways for them to learn and store as much knowledge and information as it is humanly possible. Not just intellectual truth and knowledge but also spiritual, cultural and any other kind that exists.

Okay that was a tangent. I like it though so I’ll leave it.

Back to FHE/NDH, we will read the first story, they haven’t heard it much and that is why it will work to expose them to both now. We will allow them to choose the story they like best and then have dialogue about how stories are different from different points of view. When something seems fishy or we are not sure of its veracity we should search for truth.

We will also talk about how the counter-story of the three little pigs from the wolf’s point of view is not popular at all and just recently emerged. This happens to a lot of stories. We will have dialogue about that.

This is just the beginning. Laying foundations. I understand teaching my children not to believe everything that is told to them will require greater responsibility to show them values through example but I think we are finally ready to take up that challenge. Let’s see how it goes ;-)

San Antonio is so beautiful. I had forgotten! I love it. I loved the food, the people, the culture, and it's a smaller city. I have decided my graduate/law studies will have to be in Texas!

For More Pictures of the Trip go Here:


Comments

Jodi said…
That sounds really cool, and I am totally going to read the "Three Little Pigs" from the perspective of the big bad wolf.

And as always, I LOVE your pictures.
CRT sounds like something that will serve you well in your law school studies. I think that being able to look at situations from as many perspectives as possible is a valuable skill for problem-solving. Deconstructing into tiny pieces and turning them over to see what's underneath. There's always so much more than what's on the surface of words.

I'm happy for you, Flor. : )
CRT sounds like something that will serve you well in your law school studies. I think that being able to look at situations from as many perspectives as possible is a valuable skill for problem-solving. Deconstructing into tiny pieces and turning them over to see what's underneath. There's always so much more than what's on the surface of words.

I'm happy for you, Flor. : )
Very interesting!  I love your idea of starting with the three little pics.  It's something that most kids have heard many times and don't often question, so seeing the other side of that story would be a real eye opener.  I think you've got a really great idea here and I love that you are coming up with active ways to break down the barriers to critical thinking.  You're too smart chica!  I definitely have to read the original version of The Three Little Pigs now!  This conference sounds awesome too!  I've never been to one, but it sounds like something we should all attend at least once.  :)

Popular Posts