Finding My Space

Just like any other aspect of life the internet has spaces. Mother space, political spaces, technology spaces.

The internet, as I said in my latest Venceremos article, "has created a new vision of community." We communicate with family through Skype, MSN Messenger or Facebook. We send emails instead of letter or cards. We share pictures virtually instead of developing them. The need to communicate globally with family and friends has brought a whole new group closer to technology.

When I first started posting on my blog, the technology community didn't have too many people like me. But wait how would I describe me? Feminist Latina, very openly a Non-Victim, Strong and Intelligent student, mother and photo/videographer. That's a lot of things but even with all of these identities I have come to be Flor. 

I'm caught in all these intersections of society. I've been able to join the photography, mommy blog, LDS, Latina, writer, feminist and gardening communities online but I've never had a place where I can say everything I really think and feel well except my blog, sometimes.

I've found many cool friends and people who I would not have met where it not for blogging and one of those is Chantilly Patiño or Bi-Cultural Mom. Her main topics include multiculturism, biligualism and her experience as a bi-cultural parent. I love her posts and her approach to things, she is very un-apologetic and direct but she is also compassionate and open to critique. I want to hear what she has to say because it's not just superficial multicultural talk, it's not color-blind. Her approach defines societal stigmas openly and allows a space for these issues to be discussed countered and therefore enable these thoughts, feeling and ideas to evolve into stronger feelings, stronger ideas and eventually action. 

In six days, Chantilly and the Multicultural Family Contributors will be launching a new Ezine (Online Magazine) that I am so excited to be a contributor of. I feel that this space online is finally space I will feel comfortable calling my Ehome. Make sure to check it out and if there are any topics you would like me to write about and explore shoot me an email at flawur@gmail and I will gladly take you up on the challenge. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Chantilly Patiño
Phone: (605) 413-7948

Email: chantilly@biculturalmom.com
URL: www.biculturalmom.com
MulticulturalFamilia.com™ Online Magazine to Launch on May 30th
MulticulturalFamilia.com invites us all to join a community of diverse voices and discover the issues that matter to modern families.
Sioux Falls, SD – May 20, 2011 – A new online magazine will launch on May 30th to provide multicultural resources and articles geared towards modern families.  The magazine will address multicultural and multiracial lifestyle with special emphasis on topics such as racial and cultural identity, ethnic heritage, language acquisition, interracial relationships and multiracial parenting; with an overall focus on cultural awareness and racial unity.  The aim of the magazine is to bring people together and create a strengthened multicultural community online where individuals and families can discover similar perspectives, connect with diverse voices and find helpful resources.
Multicultural Familia™ was founded in April 2011 by Chantilly Patiño, the blogger behind Bicultural Mom, in an effort to provide arena for discussing the unique blessings and challenges associated with modern families.  Multicultural Familia™ consists of a diverse community of writers and bloggers from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds who share common interest in multiculturalism and diversity.  Multicultural Familia™ is a place where individuals from all backgrounds can come together to learn about new cultures, understand each other’s’ challenges and discover the beauty of a multicultural lifestyle.  Through America’s growing diversity, we are moving more and more toward multiculturalism, and becoming less of a cultural ‘melting pot’.  Today’s modern families are discovering that they are not limited to embracing only one cultural identity, but instead, can choose to cultivate a broader heritage.  Join us and add your voice to the discussion!
Connect with us: Twitter  Facebook  YouTube
Upcoming event: Tweet Chat on Monday, May 23rd from 7-8pm est, via the hashtag #multiculturalchat
Learn more at BiculturalMom.com

Comments

Unknown Mami said…
Congratulations! I sounds like a great space for you.
Awesome post, Flor! Can't wait to read your posts. I have Chantilly to thank for the introduction to you. I'm really excited about Multicultural Familia and how much we're all going to learn. I feel like I should put on my seat-belt. : D
Ella said…
Wonderful opportunity for you! Well deserved! So great to find a place where you feel at home.- Ella
thepascuas said…
U always have great posts. If you didnt have a blog i wouldnt of gotten to know you.

U ARE AWESOME
Ella said…
Wonderful opportunity for you! Well deserved! So great to find a place where you feel at home.- Ella

Popular Posts