To follow this general conference counsel of teaching our children...

I wrote down some of my favorite quotes and ideas from Elder Lynn G. Robbins talk on Parenting:

"Believing oneself to be good only because one’s intentions are good" is not enough.
"We are never done being good parents."
"Best thing we can do is teach our children to be more Christlike."
"We need our children just as much as they need us."
"Never let failure progress from an action to an identity." (Abusive words like “stupid, dumb, slow” are words that foment this sentiment.)
"We should compliments children’s values and character." (Instead of saying thank you for doing your homework, you can say thank you for being diligent or committing to persevere until the end.)
"Neither possessions nor profession should identify self worth."
"We should teach and discipline by patience, persuasion, love, meekness, kindness and pure knowledge." 

This week I am going to put my good intentions to work, I want those intentions to gain value as actions. Right now there are many good teaching moments for our children with the beginning of a beautiful spring season.

Planting a garden and recycling are wonderful ways of teaching patience, humility and love for others and for the Lord’s creations.


    Patience can grow as we plant seed and care for them until they are ready to grow outside. It's the perfect perfect time to start.. (my plants I started in March are getting too big! Wish I had waited til this week to start, but I couldn't contain myself, need some of that patience myself!)
   Humility can be acquired as we stop to admire the beauty of nature and its many dimensions. We are creatures of divinity and love. We were given this magnificent planet and were entrusted with the responsibility to care for it.
   Love for our family and friends can be fomented through the care of a garden whose crops can be shared. Not just that but as our garden grows being able to care for our garden together creates solidarity and respect for the power of nurture within each one of us.

Here are some cool ideas to get started on being more EARTH FRIENDLY. Were trying these out ourselves. Let us know how it goes and if you find good deals on supplies etc.


Here are some links and easy steps to begin being more earth friendly:
  • Get a recycling bin and put it in a place where it is easily accessible. (Big Lots has good deals on these, I grabbed 2 bins at $4.00 each!)
  • Use canvas bags at the grocery store. They usually fit more things in one bag than the plastic ones so you have less things to carry. (I've found the terry cloth bags are the sturdiest.)
  • Buy at thrift and consignment stores. (Kid to Kid is a great place to find treasures.)
  • Rinse and reuse aluminum foil, glass jars, and yogurt containers.
  • Buy food from the bulk section of the grocery store (and reuse those handy rinsed containers).
  • Turn used paper into pads for phone messages and get your children in the habit of drawing on both sides
We picked up this book at Barnes 



and Noble.  It has some 
awesome tips and facts on 
teaching recycling
Some Fun Green Ideas:





A simple gardening book can help you get on the right path with the garden.

Here are some links too:

Blossom Swap

The Gardening Mom

Grown in the City

Happy gardening and have faith the snow will melt. Summer will come! Woohoo.

Comments

Karima said…
Hi just browsing your site, I love your style of writing! Thanks for following me on blogfrog I am following you now. I am also following you through google, would love if you could follow me too.
www.karimasblogs.blogspot.com
and
www.karimascrafts.com
Thanks, Karima
Jodi said…
I love this Flor. I swear by canvas bags for grocery shopping. Back in the day most places would give you .8 cents per bag. Thanks for mentioning me... hopefully more people will use my green cleaners. Not only are they better for your health and the environment but also CHEAP!
Ann Marie said…
Flor!!!!

I had no idea that you knew I had a blog. -- Well.. I guess I have said it in Sunday school a lot.. but I am surprised that you found it!

You are quite the blogger!!! What a cute blog you have.. and can I just say.. you have such cute babies as well?? Darling!!

I am happy you found me.. so I could find you as well.

LOVED this parenting talk. I loved when he said something to the effect of " some of our most challenging or hard children are probably what WE need. " I needed to hear that.

Lots of great thoughts here...
Flor said…
I know Jodi I love them too :-) I got a bunch and I even use them for other stuff around the house all the time! Of course I had to mention your awesome green cleaners! You should write a how to book with your ideas and your pictures it would be a success!

Ann, yes! I found your blog a long time ago when I first heard you mention you had one :-) I love it. Very inspirational and honest. I love your family pics they are super cute too! and this was definitely my favorite talk of conference... I forgot to add the quote about parenting 5.5 hahahaha
IG said…
"We should compliments children’s values and character." (Instead of saying thank you for doing your homework, you can say thank you for being diligent or committing to persevere until the end.)

i really liked this. i want to do it as much as possible. this was such a good talk.
Karima said…
Hi just browsing your site, I love your style of writing! Thanks for following me on blogfrog I am following you now. I am also following you through google, would love if you could follow me too.
www.karimasblogs.blogspot.com
and
www.karimascrafts.com
Thanks, Karima

Popular Posts