Learning to Ride

The other day Natalia learned how to ride her bicycle with no training wheels! I was telling one of my friends who is a single mom and she said “awww wish I had someone to teach my kid. I have no idea how to teach them. My sister helped me but I hardly remember.”

I was a single mom for a couple years. I haven’t forgotten the aching you feel when you want to be there and teach your kids everything but at the same time you have to provide them shelter, food, clothes. Sometimes simple things like teaching them to ride a bike have to come second to working over time to afford the bike ;-) much love to single moms. The Lord knows your struggle.

Back to the story, it gave me the idea to write a small tutorial. As I was doing the step to step though, a lot of other (not bike related) thoughts came to my head.

So according to several tutorials I googled, there are many approaches to teaching a kid to ride a bike.. training wheels, standing behind and running with the learner, getting an undersized bike. For my tutorial I’m using the “Running With Your Kid” approach. The idea of running with your kid to teach them something aligns with my parenting philosophies. Especially of remembering that anything we can do we can expect our kids to do, and anything we don’t want our kids to do we shouldn’t do ourselves. Running beside our kids to teach them is the perfect way to be able to relate to them and to be able to stop and rest when they need to rest too. Here is my how to. Remember to liken it to the parenting experience and you will find you can apply it to teaching almost any new thing.

Look for a large, wide flat space. An empty parking lot is good place.
Before your child mounts the bike, teach them the essentials. Pedal forward to move forward. Pedal backward to stop. Hold the bar to balance where you are going.

To begin you gotta remember to hold your kid by the shoulders and run along behind. Let them lead. DON’T hold the handlebars! If you do this your child won’t learn the feel of balancing. If you are always in control your child will never learn to maneuver.


If you hold the saddle or any other part of the bike, your kid will not necessarily realize if they are leaning from one side or the other, because the parent will be correcting for them. You have to let your child mess up.

You have to watch them learn to correct themselves. They might lose balance and wobble nearly fall or stubble and fall all the way. You may even stumble and fall with them.

This process is not that fun the parent, you might come out with soar shoulders or back from leaning over.

The new rider might hit the brakes suddenly, trip or swerve so be careful. Remember to take care of yourself. Your child won’t learn without you.

Repeat over and over. If the child falls let them get up alone. (unless they are seriously hurt)

Comments

Giron said…
Nati was such quick learner! andrei fell more than her haha i took alot of good pics of andrei eating it. we should have a training wheels fail blog hahahaha jk

what helped nati too was that she really wanted to learn. She is a really cool girl.
Flor said…
your also a natural teacher. You pics came out super good :) getting better with every snap!
thepascuas said…
Thats way cute flor! It is so applicable to life. I love it :) She looks like a pro. You are a good mommy.
Flor said…
Thnks :) Isaac taught her mostly though he he. she does look like a pro she learned super duper fast.
First of all, let me tell you that I really loved your photos! I could feel the energy and excitement coming through the screen! Your post was incredibly moving. The parallels between parenting and teaching a child to learn to ride their bike really stirred up a lot of emotion within me. My oldest just celebrated his 16th birthday. I'm not sure where the time has gone, but boy has it been one heck of a ride! Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up. I'm following you now via GFC. Have a great day!
Flor said…
Thanks! I can't imagine how I'll feel when the kids are teenagers. I already can't believe how fast they're growing :-) I love your blog, i'll stop by often!
Georgia Girls said…
Well, I did learn something here. I didn't know there were tutorials on bike riding. We always did the holding the back of the seat and running along behind thing. What also worked well was starting out on one of those tiny bikes where they are so close to the ground. My daughter just took right off without me. (it was a neighbor's bike, so we didn't have an extra one.)

Nice pictures -- you captured the pain and triumph!
Georgia Girls said…
Well, I did learn something here. I didn't know there were tutorials on bike riding. We always did the holding the back of the seat and running along behind thing. What also worked well was starting out on one of those tiny bikes where they are so close to the ground. My daughter just took right off without me. (it was a neighbor's bike, so we didn't have an extra one.)

Nice pictures -- you captured the pain and triumph!

Popular Posts