The Hummus



Recipe: 
16 ounces chickpeas
6 ounces roasted red bell peppers
1 jalapeno, seeded, diced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 TBS. chooped cilantro leaves
1 TBS. chipotle pepper in adobo
3 TBS. chopped onion
1 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 TBS. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp/ salt

Mix all ingredients, in food processor until pureed, then slowly add in olive oil. Let set up for 1 hour prior to serving. Serve with vegetables.
______________________________________________________________________
     I usually don't talk about relief society on my blog because I've always had a love/ hate relationship with this particular sunday school class. I know I am rebellious but I promise that I have been working on it so hard! I have a personal problem with theory lessons. Classes or teaching that work in theory but are not easily applied to real life or real women. I feel that in the wards I've attended relativity in lesson teaching is lacking and instead lessons have been consumed by snobbishness. I have been to one too many classes given in a way that says, this is what I do and if your a good woman you will do it too, even if the teaching is completely out of grasp for normal, imperfect women such as myself.
     Anyway, at my new ward, I don't know if it's because I have been praying for enlightenment and humility to understand and relate to the teachings, but I am absolutely loving my classes. Gospel doctrine is so simple and easy to understand when it is taught through a relatable lesson.
     Today's lesson was just that: "The Lord's Law of Health". My mom's always been a healthy food freak, my dad does not trail behind. They have always taught us to take care of our bodies. When our teacher told us the topic of the lesson, (I know I should of studied in advance but I usually don't) I assumed it would cover the basics of the Word of Wisdom. No Alcohol, Coffee, etc.
     Instead our teacher took a whole new route, she passed out USDA Nutrition Guide Booklets. She talked about the importance of nourishing our bodies with good nutrition, exercise and adequate sleep. I was so happy, and I could genuinely feel the spirit. She passed around these cups with veggies sliced vertically and with "Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus" at the bottom. Everyone was munching on their snack as they listened intently to the lesson on how exercise strengthens our physical body to enable us to work on our spirituality.
     I was spiritually lifted through this lesson in such a way that I came home to look up tutorials on growing better fruit trees. We have 5 in our backyard and this season they are giving their full bloom of fruit, I'm gonna make sure of it.
     I added the recipe for the Hummus above. I've never ever had Hummus tastier than this!! (One of the only recipes I will post on my blog)


Jodi, taking pictures of food and making it look as good as it tastes is so hard. You really are talented ;-)

A Link To The Lesson (in case anyone's interested)

Comments

IG said…
that hummus was bomb. i know what u mean about the classes sometimes though. that's why i really loved church in minot. i always felt like the classes where so much more genuine than i had been in SLC. I would agree that i love our ward though. your relief society class sounded real cool. i am ashamed to say that our priesthood lesson was a typical word of wisdom one with a debate on what was worse, the caffeine in the drinks or the tar. ughhh lol still though u need to stop being mean to the viejitas in the relief society :) jk
thepascuas said…
Yummy. I remember my posting recipe days. I should do it more often. Oh oh .. post that thing you guys made with the fritos please... i know im annoying about it . But i loved it!
Jodi said…
This looks so good. I will have to try it. And I think the picture looks good.
Flor said…
it was delicious. I am going to make it again this week. its healthy too :-) I will post the frito pie recipe ;-) and maybe rollo de jamon but that'll probably be it.. he he.
This looks good! I'll have to try making it. :-)
thepascuas said…
Yummy. I remember my posting recipe days. I should do it more often. Oh oh .. post that thing you guys made with the fritos please... i know im annoying about it . But i loved it!
Flor said…
it was delicious. I am going to make it again this week. its healthy too :-) I will post the frito pie recipe ;-) and maybe rollo de jamon but that'll probably be it.. he he.

Popular Posts