Feminism


I've read many books, I've attended many meetings and I have come to the conclusion that I am a feminist who embraces motherhood. I remember being at an "empowered" women discussion group once and hearing one of the women refer to motherhood as being "barefoot and pregnant". I remembered thinking how "colonized" her mind was in having played into patriarchal society and demeaning the value of motherhood; the power that the woman shares with God to create life. This power is what defines our womanhood. The reason we are different from men. The reason why we should be ever so valuable to patriarchal society. It's the underlying cause of the power that legal pregnancy options gives to women, and brings fear to some. God shared his power of creation with the woman, along with that he gave her free will to choose. This is a basic concept. In some cases, the place where society falls short is in joining in the process of nurturing and collectively raising our children. Blaming the mother for her faults instead of acknowledging that one human being can't raise a life all alone. In ancient times societies embraced this power of fertility and creation and associated it with Godhood. I align with this idea. As women we are powerful beyond our societal expectations. We really have the power to do anything. We really are creatures of divine inheritance.

Some Posts That Align With This Thought:




Comments

Shahny said…
Ooo I love it! We are definitely "Goddesses" Yay!!
So true. I think women are fighters. I admire my mother and all of her sacrifice and her will. I admire many women who make it on their own . I admire women who are successful. But what I admire the most is when women empower being a mom, not saying it as if it was a punishment.. or slowing them down.
Jodi said…
I love how you put this Flor. I totally agree. I am definitely my own woman etc. but I CHOSE motherhood. I CHOSE to stay at home with my baby. Jorge supports whatever decision I make. I hate the stigma of the old feminist movement that paints women who stay at home as unambitious, lazy, anti-intellectual. "Oh, you are just a mother?" Giving up your career, or putting it on hold for 5-10 years to raise children is not only courageous, but also extremely fulfilling. Yes, it is not for everyone, but as long as we, as women, are CHOOSING which path we want... Sorry to write a novel. I just hate how women are always putting one another down. Why can't we stick together and see that were all in THIS together? Whether you are a mother, a CEO, a teacher... Next up: the gender gap in pay! Grrr...
Flor said…
Because we are born with that mother right we can choose to be mothers in any way. through birth, through nurturing others, helping others, loving the earth, etc. its in our nature. I know there's people that think its demeaning to say that we are not only good for nurturing careers etc. But when we are treated as women in any step of life that is when we are treated equally. I hate when girls think they have to act like men to be accepted! We should be able to act and think as individual women and still have equal opportunities and the pay that we deserve, if anything we should get paid more! lol.

and about girl hating on each other! Ask Isaac that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm such a girl power girl. Women must stick together to succeed! Natalia gets in as much trouble for gossiping or being mean to other little girls as she does for disobeying or being mean to her brother. I have no tolerance for it.
Flor said…
which there were comment "like" buttons on here he he so I could "like" all 3 of your comments.
IG said…
right on sisters. love the post and comments.

Popular Posts