House Rules

     A while ago I volunteered for an after school program. During that time I came up with a workshop for creating rules that were enforceable. The whole idea was that if we choose our own rules we gain accountability. We started with a list of things we all wanted from others, example: respect. From there we analyse when we feel these. What is being done when we feel these things? example: I feel respect when someone listens to me. We take it one step further. What is a rule we can established based on these feelings. Example: We will take turns to listen and to talk by raising our hands in the classroom and not interupting each other.
   You can apply the concept to different settings and age levels. I think this works well because we understand the reason for the rules and the outcomes if they are followed. The negative consequences become personal. It's not about getting punished but of missing out on feelings we want to have.
   I tried it with the kids and it's been working well. I like treating my children as children of God. I try to remember, I am their caretaker while they pass their trials on earth. My main responsibility is to teach them to solve problems and pass the test of mortality so that one day I can return them to Heavenly Father. I know they will make mistakes. They will fall, but I will teach them to stand up, never give up and always remember their worth.


Comments

Flor said…
and u are a great dad. Did you see our seedlings. I gotta go back and get more containers we ran out and I want to plant more tomatoes :)
Giron said…
yeah just noticed. thats really cool. the pics of the lil ones at classic are really cute
Celeste said…
Awesome blog Flor. You are a great Mom and you inspire me to be a better person. I'll be setting some house rules today. I can't wait for what's to come!
Flor said…
Thanks Celeste for saying that but I think you are a great mom too. I look up to you for your strength :) Your a cool one... Let me know how it goes to do the rules thingy.
Awww flor.. u are so awesome. Such a loving mom . Someday i hope to be like u .
I love the rules , and its like a cute craft for my home. :)
florira said…
good job!! that's a great idea what you did! =D
Flor said…
it is a cute craft :-) I think i'm gonna add it in the noche de hogar ideas today im gonna post the translations of the pages i posted last night.
Celeste said…
Awesome blog Flor. You are a great Mom and you inspire me to be a better person. I'll be setting some house rules today. I can't wait for what's to come!

Popular Posts